Thursday, October 6, 2011

Offended

Sometimes, we have to see it in others to see it in ourselves. The vileness of it is only considered violent when we're the victim.

Ungratefulness. Entitlement. A scoffing directed right at you.

When our actions towards another are met with a shrug, a lofty grimace - it runs deep and stabs at the center of us.

At the center of me.

And while I'm reminded that my offerings should not be fueled by reactions....that what I pour into someone probably won't be poured back - I still sink.

But why?

Look at my Christ.

All stretched out, spit-adorned, man-mocked, nailed and hanging.

Yes, for me. Me, the follower, etched on the mind of the Forgiver as He takes it all on in my place.

And I, mortal woman, boil at the sight of another's sin. All the while blind to the same sin in self.

Perhaps it's the plank. The plank in my very own eye - casting darkness into my very own vision. And in this state I spot a speck in my offender. But who's really the offensive one here?

This is hard, though. That sin speck in the other - pains me. Pains me at my core. And while yes - I am plank-ridden myself - that speck ails me. So what is an offenderer to do when offended?

Look at her Christ.

For perspective, yes....but for power to forgive and forge onward, peace to just live, provision to give....

And plank removal.


Why do you look at the speck in your brother's eye, when you yourself do not see the plank in your own eye?
..... Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck that is in your brother's eye.
Luke 6:41-42