Thursday, January 15, 2009

Yummy

It is freezin' outside, y'all.

So I have decided to whip up a little homemade goodness. This morning, I fired up the crock pot to make some White Chili Soup. I thought it would be very homemaker-ish of me to share the recipe with you :)

White Chili Soup from The Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook

3 15-15 1/2 ounce cans of Great Northern, pinto, or white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
2 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken
1 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 cups of chopped sweet bell pepper
2 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 teaspoons of ground cumin (I never add this in!)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon of dried oregano, crushed
3 1/2 cups of chicken broth
Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese (optional)
Broken Tortilla Chips (optional)

1) In a 3 1/2 or 4 quart crockery cooker combine the drained beans, chicken, onion, sweet pepper, jalapeno peppers, garlic, cumin (if you added it), salt, and oregano. Stir in chicken broth.

2) Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours. Ladle soup into bowls. If desired, top each serving with some of the cheese and tortilla chips.

It's yummy. And pretty good for you, too. Sure to warm up some cold and hungry bellies :)

And a little later, if I'm feelin' real froggy - I just might make some Carrot Cake. But I dunno - it may have to wait for tomorrow. I might have had enough of my inner Mrs. Cleaver for one day. But mmmmmm......it sounds so good :)

Stay warm, Sweet Ones.