Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Unwrapped Tuesdays

Today....I'm gritting my teeth and trying my darnedest to celebrate beauty in the midst of all the chaos. I didn't come up with this little proclamation all on my own (If it were up to me,  I might be throwing a hissy fit instead.) I got the idea from Chatting at the Sky. For the first time ever I'm participating in Unwrapped Tuesdays.

An attitude of gratitude doesn't always come easy for me. It should. I've been blessed with awesome kids, a wonderful husband, and a pretty neat life. But somewhere in the messiness of things......the late nights, the early mornings, the runny noses, and botched batch of chocolate chip cookies I made last night - I lose my thankful spirit.

But for today...for a moment.....I'm gonna sit here and "unwrap" some things I CAN celebrate.....

*It's cold outside. I'm originally from Texas and I'm not real fond of frigid air. It is not my friend. But you know what? The sun is shining. There isn't a cloud in the sky. Just lots of blue-ness. The sun just makes me feel alive. And while it is cold out there....I'm gonna choose to celebrate the sun.


*My son woke up with a runny nose today and he has sneezed exactly 10 times already.  I counted. If you know me at all....you know that I'm not real good with illness - not even puny little colds.  But you know what? Every time I get something in the mail from St. Jude Children's Research Hospital - my perspective on illness shifts a bit. All of a sudden - colds and viruses are absolutely nothing compared to what other babes are going through. And so today....as I wipe my son's nose a dozen times....I'm gonna choose to praise God for my boy's overall well-being. 

*We bought our current home a little over a year ago. After we moved in - we realized that it needed A LOT of work....much to my dismay. Right now, my kitchen is in the middle of a remodel. One of the walls is cut in half, I'm missing a cabinet, the back splash is gone, the sink leaks, the floors are not finished, and I could go on and on. But ya know what? The oven works. It's old...but it gets the job done. The almost 20 year old frig works..it's ugly but keeps things cold. And what's even better...is that I actually have food in my refrigerator. Compared to millions of people across the globe - that is a luxury.


So right now.....as my son sneezes for the 15th time....and as I bake crescents for tonight's dinner in my crazy kitchen.............the sun IS shining. And I'm thankful for that.

How about you? Any beauty in the midst of your messiness?