Monday, February 15, 2010

Wise Words From a Three Year Old

My son is changing my life.

I just wanted to let you in on a sweet little conversation he and I had earlier this morning....

I was in the kitchen making chicken noodle soup and honey oatmeal bread (Don't get excited. I'm not always so homemaker-ish) - when I looked outside and noticed how hard it was snowing. I turned to my three year old and said, "Wow buddy...look at all that snow!" He stood up and ran to the window for a better view. After talking about how much snow we were getting...he said, "Mommy, how will we ever walk through all that snow?" I said, "I don't know bud....that would be hard, wouldn't it?!" And do you know what my three year old little man said after that??? 

"One step at a time, Mommy. We will walk through it one step at a time."

Ahem.


Did my three year old really just say that? I decided to concentrate on how difficult it would be to walk through a foot of snow - while my baby boy decided to be all prolific and talk about taking it one step at a time.

Goodness. Nothing like a good kick in the rear from a person who hasn't even been to pre-school yet.


As much as I hate to admit it....this is pretty typical of us. I tend to make things harder than they really are. I blow things out of proportion. I let mole hills turn into mountains. And then I sit at the foot of the mountain - whining about how large and steep it is - complaining and throwing hissy fits. But my son? Not him. Even at the ripe old age of three - he works through things. Sure - the mountains of a three year old look much different than the mountains of a mom.....but really we should handle them all the same. His mountains might be made of Legos and wooden blocks - and mine might be made of worries and fears and budgets and stuff - but one step at a time up ANY mountain sounds pretty good to me.

My son's little comment couldn't have come at a more fitting time. I've been facing a few snowy mountains lately. Nothing compared to what others are climbing right now (not even close, actually) - but treacherous terrain for me nonetheless. And while it may seem cheesy and a tad bit cliche - this little "one step at a time" reminder - just really makes a difference.