Monday, December 15, 2008

Contentment, Anyone?

"Love, consolation and peace bloom only in the garden of sweet contentment." - Martha Anderson

I love that quote. It gets me all centered and focused.

I'm not real great at being content. Actually, I'm the worlds worst, always thinking that I need this or that to finally get my soul satisfied. But what I'm learning Dear Ones, is that contentment is more of a decision than anything else.

Paul, the writer of Philippians says.... For I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. - Philippians 4:11-12

I'm gonna pursue a Paul-like passion for contentment and for Jesus. Amazing.

1 Timothy 6:6 says, Yet true godliness and contentment is itself great wealth.

Godliness AND contentment. Now that is an unstoppable combination, isn't it? Know what else I'm learning? I'm realizing that I can't create either one of those things on my own - much less both of them. If I could - my ego would be as big as my Texas-hair. Nope. I need God, His word, and His people to encourage me on in this contentment quest. I can't do it alone.

" Women of adventure have conquered their fates and know how to live exciting and fulfilling lives right where they are (emphasis mine!). They have learned to reinvent themselves and find creative ways to enjoy the world and their place in it." - Barbara Jenkins

Did y'all catch that?....the "RIGHT WHERE THEY ARE" part? That's good. And the whole thing about "reinventing themselves". It makes me wonder....what do YOU think those phrases mean..."right where you are" and "reinventing yourself"? Any thoughts? Please, share!

Anyway, as I mentioned in my last post - I've been thinking about the upcoming year lately. Ya know all those New Years Resolutions I have? Well, contentment is going to be on the top of my list. I know. It won't be easy. Contentment is a tough one. But oh, what a needed trait it is. Especially for me.

I hope you have a happy and satisfying start to your week, Sweet Ones.