Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Gardening Girl

Can y'all believe it?

It turns out I'm crazy about gardening.

We started planting our veggie garden this past weekend and I will have you know that I'm totally into it. We planted peppers, squash, broccoli, lettuce, green beans, okra, tomatoes, potatoes, onions, and watermelons. I even did some of it all by myself. My husband was swelling with pride in his never-planted-a garden-before-and-had-no-idea-how-to-do-it bride. I've come a long way, kids. The next time you see me, I might even have on a pair of those weird gardening shoes. I wonder if they come in leopard print?

Another thing I'm finding myself interested in? Flowers. Yep - I'm totally amazed. My country bumpkin of a husband has been teaching me all about annuals, perennials, planting and feeding. And I'm not bored. At all. I have even gone so far as to google about flower gardens. I purchased some hanging plants from one of our local farmer's market type places and I'm in love with them. They smell so good and they look so pretty and they just make me happy. I even got a steal of a deal for them. That makes me just love them even more.

Speaking of that....I'm amazed at how much cheaper it is to grow your own produce. It's unbelievable. Where has this whole gardening thing been my whole life? Goodness.

But I know what you might be thinking.... Gardening can be hard work. The weeds. Keeping out the rabbits. Plants dieing. The watering. The canning. I know, I know. I'm sure I'll run into some snags here and there. But I think I'll learn a lot too. Plus - I'm sensing that it will give me all sorts of blog posts ideas. There's so many comparisons to be made between tending a garden and tending a heart for Jesus. I'm getting all inspired and excited just thinking about it.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to water my pink petunias :)