Friday, April 18, 2014

Good Friday

I'm sitting under a big stretching canopy of blue.

The skies....they really are broader in these parts - with no hills to confiscate the sky view.

With sun shining high and bright in an early afternoon atmosphere - I'm reading John's account of Christ's crucifixion.

While all the whole story shocks me with sorrow and gratefulness - There is one bit of the report that strikes me at my core.

Come with me to chapter 19 verse 30....

 When Jesus had received the sour wine, he said, “It is finished,” and he bowed his head and gave up his spirit.

Did you catch that?

He gave up His spirit. 

It was not taken from Him.

It wasn't forced or cajoled, hoaxed or stolen.

It was given.

By choice.

This God Man - having battalions of angels at His beck and order all standing 'round ready to intervene...

This Savior - perfect in every way, sinless through and through, powerful beyond measure....He gave Himself.

For you.

For me.

HUGE! This.is.huge.

So now.....we wait. Because we know that after the cross, and the spear, and the cave.....

...after the death, and the darkness, and the strife...

comes life!

Yes! Life! For Him....for us!

Oh, may your weekend be filled with the supernatural. In the small and sweet, and in the major and broken. 

Lord - show Yourself loving, and able, and alive to every soul that sits on this step this weekend.

Sunday morning is coming.

And I can't keep from grinning at the thought of it.